Monday, March 14, 2011

A Lesson from Westboro Baptist Church

As I was waiting for Chris to arrive home from a conference in Chicago, I was looking through the headlines on my Blackberry and somehow ended up reading about a mine disaster that occurred several years ago. As I scrolled through the story I noticed a section about the funerals of the mine victims – Westboro Baptist Church was planning to picket the funeral. Some states are now passing bills to prohibit picketing from funeral services – this group has picketed thousands of funerals and events, notably the funeral of Matthew Shephard, a young man beaten to death due to his sexual preference. They protest military funerals, music venues and even sporting events. Their signs read “Thank God for 9/11” and “God Hates Jews” – even “God Hates America.” They are constantly in court – luckily for the founder Fred Phelps, eleven of his thirteen children are lawyers.

Their actions are all in the name of God – not so crazy to think about considering how many other historical events have been “in the name of God.” Believing that something is the will of God could theoretically give someone a free pass to do whatever they wanted – and there are certainly those who use this regularly.

My Lenten Bible study is taking me through Matthew, with a few chapters assigned each day – we’re also working our way through Matthew in church so I’m getting a double dose of Jesus’ teaching. The story of Westboro really reminds me why on a fundamental level I really don’t like religion – the word of God, the meaning of God’s word, and human actions can all be twisted to provide justification. What begins as an honest attempt to live based on God’s word can quickly become a way of life that is irresponsible and dangerous.

I understand that the Bible condemns homosexuality – I get it. But the Bible also condemns judging others: “Do not judge others, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” (Matthew 7:1-2). We are not only supposed to suspend judgment of others, but we’re also called to love others, and even pray for our enemies (Matthew 5:43-48).

I know that the story of Westboro is a very extreme example of religious fanaticism, but the truth remains that others are watching us Christians – for those of you who went to Resurrection you most likely heard about the chair metaphor – and it’s so true. Sure, we’re not picketing funerals, but are we truly loving one another in Christ? Are we suspending our own human judgment of someone’s lifestyle and choices and praying for them? We can’t claim to be Christians if we aren’t prepared to live and act as Christ did and as he commands us to live.

Yes, this is difficult. Suspending judgment is one of the hardest things that I have to remind myself to do daily as I’m listening to my clients and watching their behavior. It’s hard when someone cuts me off in traffic. It’s hard when I’m asked for change on the street. Here’s something I’ve learned: Being a Christian is hard work. Jesus knew it, the apostles knew it – it requires us to stretch ourselves far past our own inclinations and desires, it requires us to be better than we conceive ourselves to be. There is great accountability in the claim to be a Christian: “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked” (Luke 12:48).



No comments:

Post a Comment